Our trip is a tale of two halves; Portugal and Spain. We start in the north-west corner of Portugal, the Minho. As well as being famous for its white wine, vinho verde, it is considered by many Portuguese to be the most beautiful region of the country. Our walks along the camino take us through vineyards, chestnut orchards and river-side trails. Historic manor houses provide elegant accommodation and generous hospitality to visitors..
The second half of our walking adventure takes us to Spain and Galicia, it’s equally beautiful and completely different. Galicia may be at the end of the line geographically, but it’s very much part of “Green Spain”, the temperate and hilly land that runs along the northern edge coast and includes Asturias and the Basque Country. It is also known for Santiago de Compostela, the reputed burial place of the biblical apostle Saint James and the destination for those following the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route.
Days 1 & 2: Rendezvous in Porto; visit a port lodge and find out how this traditional fortified wine is made; Transfer to the Minho, walk a stretch of the Portuguese Caminho de Santiago; explore the wild Serra d’Arga with its traditional stone villages, stay in an elegant 16th C manor house. http://quintademalta.com
Days 3 & 4: Ponte de Lima; walk the caminho to Portugal’s oldest town, with its iconic Roman bridge over the Lima river; visit the vinho verde museum; hike to Arcos de Valdeveza and vist Sistelo, known to the Portuguese as little Tibet. www.viladeponteguesthouse.pt/
Days 5, 6 & 7: Transfer to Spain, explore the bird sanctuary and beaches of Illa de Arousa; enjoy a cooking class with a Galician chef; visit the 12th C monastery of Armenteira, take the magical Pedra y Agua route to discover more than 40 abandoned water mills; stay in the boutique hotel Quinta San Amaro, famous for its excellent restaurant. http://www.quintadesanamaro.com
Day 8: Departure for Santiago de Compostela/Porto
- Portugal/Spain: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days.
- Difficulty: Moderate 8 – 15 km/day in rolling countryside, through woods, farmland and beaches on well-marked trails.
- Tour Price : us$3100 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Porto/Santiago de Compostela.
- Departures: 4-11 May, 2020
- Inclusions: 7 night’s accommodation in comfortable hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.