Walking the Highlands and Islands
Walk the moors ablaze with purple heather, cross island-studded sea lochs by steamboat and travel to the mystical islands of Eigg and Skye. Dine on salmon fresh from the river Tay. Spend evenings listening to traditional music while sampling the “water of life” - malt whisky. Our walks take us through an irresistible mix of highlands and lowlands, rugged seascapes and tranquil lochs, mountain passes and gentle glens. Charming hotels, superb seafood, lively Scottish music and a marvellous naturalist guide provide the perfect combination of walking and culture.
Let Fortune's gifts at random flee,
They ne'er shall draw a wish frae me,
Supremely blest wi' love and thee
In the birks of Aberfeldy.
'The Birks of Aberfeldy' by Robert Burns
Days 1 & 2
Perthshire: Rendezvous in Edinburgh; walk up the Birks' of Aberfeldy made famous by Robert Burns' poem; visit Dunkeld's 15th-century cathedral; stay in Pitlochry, the heart of Scottish Highlands, with clear sparkling air, beautiful scenery, rich clan history, fine food, and lots to see and do.
Days 3 & 4
Isle of Mull: walk on white sandy beaches fringed with emerald green waters; take a walk with a naturalist guide to spot rare sea eagle, ramble across some of the finest and most varied scenery in the Inner Hebrides; stay in Tobermory, its colourful waterfront “capital”.
Days 5, 6 & 7
Arisaig: visit the Ardnamurchan distillery to see how they make “the water of life”; walk the silvery shores of Loch Morar; catch the post boat to Mallaig, a traditional port where boats leave for Skye; walk around the sandy coves of Rhu Peninsula to view the Western Isles; stay in the magnificent Arisaig House overlooking the dramatic island seascape of Eigg, Rum and Muck .
- Scotland: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days
- Difficulty: Easy/Moderate 6 - 14 km/day over gently rolling terrain. Our routes are through woods and over moorland on well-surfaced paths.
- Tour Price: $3250 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Edinburgh / Fort William
- Departures: 14 to 21 July 2017
- Inclusions: 7 night's accommodation in comfortable three-star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.