Walking the Western Highlands and Skye
We visit the wild and rugged terrain of north west Scotland. Walk amongst seascapes of unmatched beauty, wander across moors ablaze with purple heather, cross pristine sea lochs to travel to the mystical islands of Skye and Eigg. Dine on seafood fresh from the sea. Spend evenings listening to traditional music while sampling the “water of life” – malt whisky. Our walks take us through an irresistible mix of highlands, rugged seascapes and tranquil lochs and gentle glens. Charming hotels, superb seafood, lively Scottish music and local guides provide the perfect combination of walking and culture.
‘Golden eagles circling over bleak moorland… rugged mountains streaked with snow-filled corries, dramatic against incandescent skies…. a magnificent coastline dotted with islands and ringed by golden bays and sheer cliffs eroded into stacks.’
Days 1, 2 & 3
Inverness: rendezvous in Inverness; walk on Torridon estate and marvel at the ancient Caledonian Forest; follow loch-side trails by the pristine waters of Loch Clair and Loch Coulin, hike on the long distance Cape Wrath trail; stay in an inn overlooking the shores of Loch Torridon. Enjoy the clear sparkling air, rugged scenery, & a wee distillery.
Plockton; visit the home of Hamish MacBeth, walk to a secluded coral beach fringed with emerald green waters; take a walk with a naturalist to spot seals and rare sea eagles.
Days 5, 6 & 7
Skye: travel to Armadale Castle and walk on the Sleat Peninsula; walk around the sandy coves of Rhu Peninsula to view the Western Isles; stay in the magnificent Arisaig House overlooking the dramatic island seascape of Eigg, Rum and Muck .
- Scotland: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days
- Difficulty: Easy/Moderate 6 – 14 km/day over gently rolling terrain. Our routes are through woods and over moorland on well-surfaced paths.
- Tour Price: $3300 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Inverness/ Fort William
- Departures: 25 August to 1 September, 2019
- Inclusions: 7 night’s accommodation in charming hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.