Lakes and Mountains of Northern Italy
This region is defined by contrasts; from the tranquil shores of Lake Maggiore to the Swiss elegance of Lake Lugano and finally to the sophistication of Lake Como. The limpid blue waters, the snow-capped peaks and ancient traditions of the Italian lakes have attracted travellers for centuries.
The area is famous for its unsurpassed natural beauty, romantic hotels and opulent villas that conjure up images of a gracious past. During the day we take trails that rise from the lakeshores to meander through lush alpine meadows to forgotten villages which are often only accessible on foot. In the evenings we dine by candlelight on terraces overlooking the water and stay in charming lakeside hotels.
Days 1, 2 & 3
Cannobio: stay in the picturesque lake-side village of Cannobio, visit beautiful Romanesque churches; explore the undiscovered Valle Cannobina with its green glacier-fed river and the visit the tiny hamlets of Cavaglio, Gurro and Crealla; marvel at views of snow-capped Swiss; stay in a charming restored 14th-century town house.
Porlezza: travel by ferry across Lake Maggiore; picnic at a 10th-century hermitage; lunch at a mountain chalet, where you can try polenta with gorgonzola or trout straight from the stream; sample the excellent wines of Piedmont.
Days 5, 6 & 7
Bellagio: discover the charm and the beauty of Villa del Balbianello, one of the most romantic places on Lake Como; follow the valley linking Lake Lugano and Lake Como; explore the cobbled streets of Bellagio, “the pearl of Lake Como”; visit the fine botanical gardens of Villa Melzi and Villa Serbelloni; hike the scenic hills behind Varenna; stay in a restored 16th-century villa.
- Italian Lakes: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days.
- Difficulty: Moderate 8 - 16 km/day over hilly and mountainous terrain. The trails are well-surfaced mule trails or alpine trails, through woods with easier and more strenuous options available.
- Tour Price: $2950 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Cannobio / Como
- Departures: On request.
- Inclusions: 7 night's accommodation in comfortable three-star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.