Hiking Slovenia: Off the beaten track in Europe!
Slovenia is a tiny country, only half the size of Switzerland and known as Europe in miniature due to its magnificent and varied scenery. It has a rich and complicated history and was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until WW1.We can follow Rommel’s footsteps across the Julian Alps to the sleepy village of Kobarid, immortalised by Hemingway during the first World War. Kobarid is blessed with natural wonders; dramatic mountains, limestone gorges and the aquamarine Soca river, as well as a world class museum. Slovenia’s most magnificent scenery is surely found in the Triglav National Park, home to Slovenia’s highest peak. Here we find the pristine glacial lakes of Bohinj and Bled surrounded by snow-capped mountains. This landscape of gorges, rushing rivers and dramatic waterfalls is a unique unspoilt alpine paradise.
Days 1 & 2 Trieste: pick up and transfer to walk along the cliff tops to the fishing village of Duino. Cross the border into Slovenia to the picturesque village of Kobarid; walk though the trenches and military emplacements from the First World War, visit an award winning war museum, hike to Kozjak waterfall. Optional kayaking or rafting trip on Soca river. Stay at Hisa Franko, home to Ana Roz, one of Slovenia’s best chefs.
Days 3, 4 & 5 Lake Bohinj: take the panoramic small gauge railway through the mountains to Lake Bohinj; hike in Triglav National Park, visit the picturesque villages around Lake Bohinj, walk over the Devil’s Bridge through alpine pastures dotted with wildflowers to the cascading waters of Mostnica waterfall.
Days 6 & 7 Transfer to Bled: marvel at its Medieval castle and picturesque island; discover the rural villages around Lake Bled with traditional farms, hayricks and brightly painted beehives. Hike along the rushing Radovna river to the dramatic Vintgar gorge.
- Slovenia tour details:
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days.
- Difficulty: 6 – 14 km/day through rolling countryside on easy paths, two days on well -marked mountain paths in alpine terrain.
- Tour Price: $3000 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Trieste/Ljubljana.
- Departures: 29 May to 5 June, 2019
- Inclusions: 7 night’s accommodation in comfortable three star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as specified in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.