Hiking Slovenia: Off the beaten track in Europe!
Slovenia is a tiny country, only half the size of Switzerland and known as Europe in miniature due to its magnificent and varied scenery. It has a rich and complicated history and was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until WW1.We can follow Rommel’s footsteps across the Julian Alps to the sleepy village of Kobarid, immortalised by Hemingway during the first World War. Kobarid is blessed with natural wonders; dramatic mountains, limestone gorges and the aquamarine Soca river, as well as a world class museum. Slovenia’s most magnificent scenery is surely found in the Triglav National Park, home to Slovenia’s highest peak. Here we find the pristine glacial lakes of Bohinj and Bled surrounded by snow-capped mountains. This landscape of gorges, rushing rivers and dramatic waterfalls is a unique unspoiled alpine paradise.
Days 1 & 2 Bovec: pick up in Trieste, transfer across the border to Slovenia and the picturesque village of Kobarid; walk though the trenches and military emplacements from the First World War, hike to Kozjak waterfall, visit an award winning war museum. Hike the Soca trail, following the the turquoise waters of the Soca.
Days 3, 4 & 5 Bled: cross the dramatic Predel Pass to lake Bled, marvel at its Medieval castle and picturesque island; hike along the dramatic Vintgar gorge, discover the charming village of Radovljica and enjoy a winetasting accompanied by local cheeses and prosciutto.
Days 6 & 7 Lake Bohinj: hike in Triglav National Park, visit the picturesque villages around Lake Bohinj, walk over the Devil’s Bridge through alpine pastures dotted with wildflowers to the cascading waters of Mostnica waterfall.
- Slovenia tour details:
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days.
- Difficulty: 6 – 14 km/day through rolling countryside on easy paths, two days on well -marked mountain paths in alpine terrain.
- Tour Price: us$3150 (single supplement $500)
- Start/Finish: Trieste/Ljubljana.
- Departures: 25 May to 1 June, 2020
- Inclusions: 7 night’s accommodation in comfortable three star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as specified in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.