Hiking the Alpine trail
The Dolomites are situated in the Northeast corner of Italy, between Austria to the north and the Venetian plain to the south. This is a region of great natural beauty; soaring Dolomitic peaks which change colour depending on the light, dark fir forests, lush alpine meadows filled with wild flowers, crystal clear mountain streams and cascading waterfalls. It is also a place where three cultures and languages come together; Italian, Austrian and Ladin to produce a rich cultural mix. Ladino is the native tongue of the inhabitants of the Val Badia. Derived from Latin, this ancient Romansch language is now spoken only in the Dolomites and in the Engadine valley in Switzerland. The dramatic beauty of the Dolomites, exceptional hiking, innovative cuisine and the warm hospitality of the people combine to make a memorable walking holiday.
Days 1 & 2
Rendezvous in Bolzano , home to Otzi the world’s best preserved man; stay in the Val de Funes, a charming hidden corner of the Dolomites; Hike round the iconic Sass Putia, an imposing rocky massif.
Days 3, 4 & 5
Stay in the beautiful Val Badia; enjoy a tasting of the superb wines of Alto Adige; hike to the Tofanes di Rozes; stay overnight in a historic mountain hut and enjoy 360 degree views.
Days 6 & 7
Hike down to Corvara via Passo Falzarego, visit the WWW1 tunnels in the Lagazuoi mountains;San Cassiano: hike from Passo Valparola to view the spectacular Marmolada glacier; hike on the Puez Plateau.
- Dolomites: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days
- Difficulty: Moderate/Challenging 6 - 14 km/day with walking options at all levels. Some days we walk at altitudes of 2000m with many climbs and descents. Some help from cable cars, chairlifts and gondolas. We walk on well-maintained mountain trails.
- Tour Price: $2950 (single supplement $400)
- Start/Finish: Venice
- Departures: 2 to 9 July 2017
- Inclusions: 7 night's accommodation in comfortable three-star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.