France & Spain
The Basque Country is full of delights: lush vistas, trout filled streams and picturesque villages unchanged over the centuries. The Basque Country lies between France and Spain, although neither French or Spanish in terms of its food, architecture, traditions or language. We walk among the foothills of the Pyrenees; a range of snow-capped mountains that form a natural barrier between Spain and France. The area is ideal for exploring on foot along the many small paths that criss-cross the area. We follow some of Europe’s most scenic long distance footpaths as we wander besides mountain streams, through terraced vineyards and lush pastures, passing through numerous villages of traditional white stucco houses adorned with red shutters, along pathways that were followed by pilgrims over 1000 years ago.
Days 1 & 2
St Etienne di Baigorry: Walk one of Europe’s most famous long distance paths, the GR 10; visit St Jean Pied de Port the gateway to the Pyrenees; wine tasting of the local Iroulguy wines.
Days 3 & 4
Hike along a panoramic trail forming the border between France and Spain. Stay in Ainhoa , an attractive medieval village of typical Basque houses. Visit Sare one of France’s most beautiful villages Try the regional speciality ‘Gateau Basque’ a special cake filled with black cherry jam.
Days 5 & 6
Urdax: visit prehistoric grottoes; follow the smuggler’s route from France into Spain; walk to Zugarramurdi famous for its colony of witches; stay in a tower house, built in the 18th-century.
Hondarribia: explore the charming seaside town of Hondarribia; walk through Mediterranean macchia to the shores of the Atlantic.
- Basque Country: tour details
- Duration: 7 nights/8 days.
- Difficulty: Moderate 8 - 15 km/day in rolling countryside, through woods farmland and vineyards. More difficult hiking options available on alpine trails. Most trails are along well-surfaced country roads.
- Tour Price on request
- Start/Finish: Hondarribia.
- Departures: - on request
- Inclusions: 7 night's accommodation in comfortable three-star hotels; all breakfasts and meals as listed in the itinerary; all activities listed in the itinerary; all transfers, tips and gratuities; the services of a professional tour guide.